We have reviewed the differences between mid back vs high back chair. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top ones.
Are you experiencing backache while working long hours in the office? If yes, then read further. It is not always the posture that causes back pain. There is also a possibility that your office chair is the reason for your backache.
Nowadays, there are various office chairs available in the market specially designed to provide you comfort and act as posture correctors.
You can either select a mid-back chair that supports the back and keeps the spine aligned or a high back chair supporting the full-back, which provides head and neck pads.
So, let’s discuss the difference between a mid back vs high back chair.
Mid Back Vs High Back Chair
A traditional mid back office chair has a modest backrest, which does not extend beyond your shoulders and definitely does not have a headrest.
A mid back chair’s main purpose is to support the back, spine, and shoulder blade. Mid back chairs are nice if you do not sit in your seat for long hours. If you don’t sit continuously for more than 5 hours, a mid-back chair is an excellent option for you. That is why you will find a lot of these chairs in conference rooms and meeting rooms.
On the other hand, a high back chair has a tall backrest that can support upto your neck. It is bigger and taller; it supports your neck, shoulders, and back. Typically high back chairs come with height and armrest adjustability. Taller people prefer high back chairs.
More importantly, if you are prone to working long hours at your workstation plodding away at your computer, a high back chair gives you the right support for your neck and shoulder.
|Feature||Mid Back||High Back|
|Support||Backrest up to shoulders||Backrest upto Neck with Head rest as well|
|Purpose||Conference Room or Meeting chairs||Desk chairs|
|Usage||Sporadic Seating (1-2 hours at a time)||Prolonged sitting (Can be used for longer hours)|
|Desk Space/Look||Minimalistic, Flexible Spaces||Oversized, Larger desks|
|Ergonomics||Lumbar support, Spinal Posture, Height and tilt adjustability||All of these as well as head and neck support|
Our Top Choice For Mid Back Chair – Furmax Office Chair
The Furmax Office Mid Back Swivel... is our top choice for Mid Back Chairs
It is a perfect ergonomic mesh chair with armrests that give a lot of support. The mesh fabric increases breathability and makes the chair comfortable. A thick padded backrest provides extra back support. It has 360-degree swivel wheels made of PU material that allows you to roll the chair on any flooring, including carpets smoothly.
Some More Features
- The chair can carry a weight of up to 265 pounds. The chair is very durable, as well.
- It has a heavy-duty base with a 5-star rating.
- Wing back design provides excellent lumbar support.
- It has a 130-degree reclining tilt mechanism for additional flexibility. You can tilt back and forth to relax your shoulders and back.
- Adjustable tilt tension to reduce/increase the degree of tilt.
- The chair has an adjustable height, making it comfortable to adjust the chair according to the desk. There is an SGS certified gas pump for height adjustment.
- The chair uses BIFMA certified legs, with upgraded PU casters and a 360-degree swivel. Perfect for all kinds of floor, including carpeting
Our Top Choice For High Back Chair – AmazonBasics High Back Chair
The No products found. is our top choice for High Back Chair because this executive office chair has a pewter finish frame that is covered by the black leather fabric, making it a very comfortable chair for long office hours.
Its weight capacity is 275 pounds, which means that it is a strong office chair. When working for long hours, you experience backache and neck ache. This chair supports the lumbar, head, and neck.
The chair’s height can be adjusted from 41.34 inches to 45.08 inches. For smooth rolling, you even get 360-degree swivel caster wheels. It is a BIFMA Certified chair, very reliable, and durable.
Some more features
- The leather and PVC fabric used on this executive chair makes it look elegant.
- It is easy to adjust the height of the chair from 41.34 to 45.08 inches.
- Butterfly seat plate with a curved back helps to provide lumbar support.
- A tilt tension knob is present under the chair to control the tilt angle according to need.
- Padded seat cushion makes the chair provide extra support.
- The armrest is long with padding that makes the chair even more comfortable.
- The steel frame makes the chair sturdy and durable.
- The chair is BIFMA certified.
- Available in black, brown, and white
No products found.
No products found.
Mid Back Chairs
#1 Furmax Office Mid Back Chair In Black
This chair is ergonomically designed for extraordinary back support. It has a comfortable seat with high-density foam with a mesh fabric outer, which makes the chair breathable.
A 130-degree tilt mechanism ensures that you can relax your back and shoulders while working. The tilt tension can be easily adjusted with a knob at the bottom to lock the angle.
The height of the seat can be adjusted according to your desk height. An SGC certified gas pump in the height adjustment mechanism ensures that the chair is safe for office use.
The chair uses BIFMA certified legs with the 360-degree swivel and PU casters, making it easy for the chair to move without making any noise on most surfaces.
- Breathable mesh fabric on both back and seat makes the chair very comfortable.
- The thick foam padding on the seat adds to its comfort quotient.
- BIFMA certified safe legs
- 360-degree swivel PU casters make the movement on the chair very smooth.
- The 130-degree tilt mechanism allows you to lean back and forth, supporting your shoulders and neck. It is possible to adjust the tilt and lock the chair in place as well.
- The seat can be adjusted according to the desk height. SGS certified gas pump mechanism for height adjustment.
- The chair can carry a weight of 265 pounds.
- Available in 10 attractive color options to suit your office decor
- Not suitable for plus sized individuals.
- Some users mentioned that assembling the chair is tricky and time taking.
You may also like to read: Best Mesh Office Chairs: Reviews & Buying Guide 
#2 AmazonBasics Mesh Mid Back Office Desk Chair
This is a comfortable office chair with mesh fabric at the back with curved back support. It has a capacity of 225 pounds.
This is a fully adjustable chair that comes with a handle below the chair to control the height. The chair has a tension knob to lean front and back. Padded seat makes the chair even more comfortable. Nylon T-shaped armrests offer additional support and comfort. Dual wheel casters provide convenient mobility.
- The T-shaped nylon armrest is very comfortable.
- Mesh fabric on the curved back makes the chair very supportive and breathable.
- Supports weight of 225 pounds.
- Highly adjustable chair with a lock handles to control the height and a tilt tension knob to control the tilt angle.
- Available with a one year warranty.
- Seat padding gets flatter if a plus-sized person uses the chair regularly for long hours.
- Some users mentioned that the armrest was a little hard.
#3 Yaheetech Ergonomic Office Chair Mid Back
The chair is available in 7 bright and beautiful colors. Its high-density sponge seat is larger than other chairs and makes the chair highly comfortable. The nylon mesh back support is breathable, and the 5-star base makes the chair very stable.
The chair can withstand a weight of 276 pounds and has passed the BIFMA X5.1 test. The ergonomic curved backrest design supports the spine and can be adjusted according to your need.
It has lumbar support shaped like two hands, holding your lower back and giving it a lot of comfort. This strong office chair has a tilt mechanism that can be controlled by a knob under the chair.
- Supports weight of upto 276 pounds.
- The tilt mechanism makes the chair very comfortable.
- Larger padded seat with a size of Width 20.7 inches, 2.7 inches thick, and depth of 20 inches provides optimal comfort.
- The steel iron framework makes the chair sturdy and long-lasting.
- Good lumbar support and an ergonomic backrest for spine support
- Seat height can be adjusted from 12.4 to 16.3 inches.
- 360-degree swivel wheels ensure flexibility in movement.
- Nylon mesh and padded seat make the chair stand out.
- Available in 7 attractive colors to choose from
- Some users mentioned that assembling the chair is not that easy.
- The armrest can be low for some tall individuals.
You may also like to read: 10 Best Office Chair Under $200 [Updated 2021]
High Back Chairs
#4 AmazonBasics High Back Leather Executive Chair
No products found.
No products found.
This chair has a butterfly seat plate with adjustable settings that help to support the full-back. It keeps the body aligned. The chair’s height can be adjusted from 41.34 to 45.03 inches. There is a knob to adjust the chair height and the tilt movement according to your requirement.
The back and the seat are fully padded to provide extra support to the user. The gently curved armrest also has padding that makes the chair even more supportive.
- The chair can withstand a weight of 275 pounds.
- Fully padded leather and PVC coating on the chair makes it give a cushion feel.
- The curved armrest has padding that provides support and comfort to the arms while working for long hours.
- 360 swivel nylon casters make the chair durable and easily movable.
- Fully adjustable. Both height and tilt angle can be adjusted with a convenient knob at the bottom of the chair
- According to some users, the screws are short and covered with leather fabric that comes out after a year or so.
- Material is not that strong and cannot withstand much weight, one user claimed.
No products found.
No products found.
You may also like to read: 10 Best Office Chairs For Neck Pain [Updated for 2021]
#5 OFM Essentials High Back Chair
The chair has segmented ultra-plush headrest padding, which makes the chair perfect for working long hours. The stitched diamond pattern on the seat makes the chair look elegant.
The soft thread leather seat is very comfortable. The padded armrests provide extra support to the user while sitting on the chair.
There is a soft and luxurious integrated headrest to support the head and neck during those long hours of work at the office. The chair has 360-degree swivel wheels, a five-star base, and a center-tilt mechanism for allowing an adjustable recline on the chair.
The alloy steel frame of the chair makes it durable and strong. It can support upto 250 pounds of weight.
- Provides contoured comfort with the headrest and padded arm and back support.
- Breathable soft thread leather gives the chair give a luxurious feel.
- Comfortable integrated headrest and tilt tension knob for adjusting the tilt angle
- The stitched diamond pattern on the chair makes the chair look premium and adds to the user’s comfort.
- 360-degree swivel wheels in a five-star base design provide integrated support.
- The ergonomic tilt mechanism makes you rest on the chair in a reclining position.
- Withstands weight of 250 pounds.
- The seat is not long enough to give leg support.
- For some people, the armrest can be too long.
#6 Furmax High Back Office Chair
An exclusive office chair with breathable and comfortable PU leather fabric that is convenient to maintain. High-quality seat, back, and arm padding allows extra support to the whole body.
It is a fully adjustable chair with a 360-degree wheel rotation that makes the chair very mobile on all surfaces. It has a heavy-duty base with wheels that do not make scuff marks on the floor. The chair can support weights of upto 300 pounds, making it easily one of the strongest chairs in our lineup.
It has an ergonomically designed lumbar support and comfortable armrests with BIFMA certification. There is a pneumatic height adjustment feature at your fingertips as well. You can even tilt the chair by upto 20 degrees.
Furmax is a perfect chair to make your body feel relaxed and stress-free for all day.
- It can withstand 300 pounds that make the chair strong.
- PU leather coating on the back, seat, and the armrest makes the chair highly comfortable.
- Adjustable tilt backrest that can bend backward from 90 to 120 degrees.
- A fully padded chair provides perfect back support.
- 3.2 inches of adjustable height makes the chair fit any work desk.
- 360-swivel wheels make it easy to move the chair.
- The wheels are a bit noisy that can be irritating for many.
- Many people who are sensitive to smell cannot bear the chemical smell of the leather fabric.
What should you look for before buying a mid-back or a high back office chair?
The most important aspect is always the usage of the chair. What do you want to use the chair for? Do you sit intermittently and have to get up a lot? Do you toil away for long hours without getting up from your seat? In the first case, a mid back chair might be sufficient for you. In the second, the high back is a better choice
A fundamental but sometimes neglected aspect – people are of different heights, and no one likes a chair where they can’t put their legs on the floor comfortably.
Always look for chairs that are made of sturdy material. The sturdy material makes the chair durable and long-lasting. Brands that promise quality products with a lifetime warranty are the best to go for if you want a chair for a long time.
A mid-back or high back chair that is made of soft material ensures maximum comfort and lumbar support. Look for a fully padded chair, which can make you feel relaxed while you work for long hours.
It is not possible to work sitting straight the whole day. It is easy to bend backward with the tilt mechanism when you need a break from work. It will also help you stretch your back and relieve back pain.
360-degree Swivel with 5-star base
The chair’s casters need to be smooth enough to provide 360-degrees swivels. The 5-star base adds extra support to the chair that can also support the high weight.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the basic difference between a high back vs. mid-back chair?
Both the mid-back and a high back chair support the back. The only difference is that the mid-back chair supports the spine’s natural curve and helps to sit in a correct posture. On the contrary, the high back chair supports the upper back that is your shoulders, neck, and head while working. It is a perfect all-day use chair, but the mid-back chair can be used for 4-5 hours.
Are chairs made of mesh good?
Chairs with mesh back are great for conference rooms and meeting rooms but not for all-day work. If you are working for long hours, a mesh back chair with lumbar support is the best combination you can go for.
Should I get a high-back office chair or mid-back?
The answer to your question is simple. Your choice should completely depend upon the time you spend sitting in the chair. If you sit for very long hours and have minimal movement, you must go for a high back chair. If you move a lot, take short breaks between the job and enjoy walking from one desk to another, and don’t spend long hours in a chair, you can go for a mid-back chair.
In this article, we have compared Mid Back Vs High Back Chair for office use and hopefully would have explained the basic differences and scenarios where each chair is useful.
In our opinion, the Furmax Office Mid Back Swivel... is the best choice among the mid-bac options that we have considered because it is perfect for mid-back and rich in other features.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Yaheetech Ergonomic Mesh Office... , which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
The No products found. is the best choice among the various high-back options that we have considered because it is ideal for back and rich in other features.
If you are looking for a value for money option, you can also consider the Furmax High Back Office Chair... , which offers great value and features at a very reasonable price point.
If you are looking for office chairs, then your search ends here. We have the biggest collection of office chair reviews!
- 7 Best Seat Cushions for Office Chairs 
- 7 Best Office Chair for Back Pain 2021 [Works]
- 9 Best Office Chair under $500 in 2021
- 7 Best Lumbar Support Cushions for Office Chairs 
- 17 Most Comfortable Office Chairs Reviews