In this article, we have reviewed the best casters for hardwood floor. If you are in a hurry, the table below gives a quick snapshot of the top 6.
In 2017, hardwood flooring sales were close to $3.5 billion, growing at a steady clip. Many people prefer hardwood because not only is it rugged and long-lasting, it is easy to clean and gives your office or living space a very elegant look.
If you are similarly enamored with hardwood flooring and have installed it in your own home/office, you might have noticed that it can get damaged pretty easily by the casters of the chair you are using.
Some casters work better on hard floorings while others work better on soft floorings. Hardwood makes the house and office look great and stylish, but if you wish to retain your hardwood flooring without scuff marks and scratches, then the right casters are needed for your chairs.
For carpeted floors and hardwood floors, metal and nylon casters are better. You can also opt for polyurethane casters for hardwood floors.
So let’s dive right into the our reviews of the best casters for hardwood flooring.
Our Top Choice – Oasis Office Chair Caster Wheels
The The Office Oasis Original... is our top choice for best casters for hardwood floors.
These caster wheels work perfectly on hardwood floors. They also work for many other kinds of flooring, such as tiles, wood, and even carpet.
They have precision ball bearings in the swivel which make them smooth with no squeaky sounds. They also have a heavy-duty design which supports up to 650 pounds of weight. The casters come with a lifetime guarantee.
Some Other Features
- Super smooth and free-rolling motion because of the high precision ball bearings in the swivel which makes it convenient to move the chair in any direction.
- A heavy-duty axle design meant to support weights of even up to 650 pounds
- Compatible with hardwood flooring, and can be used even with tile or carpet.
- Made from high-grade steel, solid construction. Come with a lifetime guarantee
- Made from soft polyurethane material. No more scratch and scuff marks on your floor.
- High-grade steel caster with a clear polyurethane wheel which makes the caster look stylish. Its sleek modern design gives the office chair a new look that fits most interiors.
- The product manufacturer actually gives a 110% guarantee on the product – 10% extra money if you find the casters to be unsatisfactory.
- Compatible with almost every brand and make of office chairs.
Our Reviews of the Best Casters For Hardwood Floor
You will find detailed product reviews below to help you choose the right casters for your hardwood flooring.
#1 Oasis Office Chair Caster Wheels
These rollerblade style caster wheels are a perfect option for hardwood flooring if you want to make sure that your casters do not damage your expensive and stylish office flooring. Embellished with soft polyurethane material, these caster wheels will not leave any marks on your hardwood flooring. The entire bracket is made with high-grade steel that makes the caster durable and long-lasting.
There is a set of 5 wheels in one package that can withstand a weight of 650 lbs. This makes it one of the strongest caster wheels.
The casters have a precision-based ball bearing in the swivel which makes their motion very smooth and also ensures that they do not make any squeaky sounds while moving.
The wheels have a modern and stylish appearance that can make any office chair look elegant. It will not only make your chair look stylish but will also be a boon to your wooden flooring.
- The wheels are very convenient to install and can fit almost all makes & models of office chairs
- The wheels make absolutely no noise when you move your chair and glide effortlessly across the floor because of the high precision ball bearings in their swivel.
- These rollerblade-style wheels are perfect for any flooring that is tiles, hardwood, and even carpet.
- With a heavy-duty riveted steel axle, the wheels have a very long life.
- Soft polyurethane coating on the wheels protects the floor from scratches and dent marks. The clear coating makes your office and home chairs look good
- The manufacturer offers a lifetime 110% refund guarantee on this product
- These wheels do not fit IKEA chairs, they are constructed keeping in mind regular office chairs such as Herman Miller Aeron and Hon.
- The large diameter of the wheel makes you put in a little extra effort to move the chair.
#2 BF Brightfield Universal Office Caster Wheel
These universal caster wheels will give you complete peace of mind from scratches that can damage your expensive hardwood flooring. A perfect way to say bye-bye to your desk floor mat, these office caster wheels work very nicely on hard floors.
The soft polyurethane plastic on these casters acts as a protector for your hardwood flooring. The caster wheels move smoothly due to the precision ball bearings inside. The ball bearings are also vibration resistant, you don’t feel the movement at all while sitting on the chair.
The casters are designed so as to not pick up hair and dirt from the floor. This prevents the wheels from getting clogged. The soft rubber-like material on the wheel’s outer layer does not make any noise while rolling the chair.
The construction of the wheel is highly reliable as the frame is made of top-grade steel. You don’t need any tool to install the wheels to any chair, just push in the stem until it is firmly affixed in the chair’s leg.
- The durable hard plastic of the caster with transparent polyurethane makes the caster work smoothly.
- The casters roll without making any noise, due to the high precision ball bearings used in them.
- The casters precision ball bearings make them resistant to vibration, you do not feel the chair moving at all while sitting on it.
- The casters are designed to resist dust and hair, keeping them unclogged and free to move for a long time.
- Does not scratch your expensive floor and let it remain the same for years.
- The reliable and heavy-duty construction of the casters makes them perfect for the office and home use.
- With a capacity of 650 lbs, the caster is strong and very effective.
- These wheels are perfect for hardwood flooring, and can also work on carpet and tiles.
- As the wheel’s outer layer is of rubber material, the wheels tend to grip the floor.
- The wheel size is larger, making you slouch a little when typing on an under desk keyboard.
You may also be interested in reading: Best Chair Casters for Tile Floors
#3 LPHY Office Chair Caster Wheel
With this attractive looking caster wheel, you can enhance the look of a simple office chair and drop your worries about scratches on your expensive hardwood flooring.
These wheels not only look good but make your office chair modern and elegant. With a capacity of 650 lbs, the wheels are strong enough for heavyweight individuals.
Apart from hardwood flooring, these casters are also safe for other floors that have high pile carpeting and commercial carpeting.
These 3-inch caster wheels are larger than average, which helps you easily move your chair, causing very little resistance. They are easy to install, can be used with almost any modern office chair. They make very little noise due to high precision ball bearings in their swivel.
- Made of high-quality steel, fully enclosed precision ball bearing, and soft polyurethane plastic that together makes the wheel durable, smooth, and perfect for hard floors.
- Each caster is available with a gripper ring stem that allows you to mount the wheel without any tools.
- The stem of these casters is made of steel that does not fall easily.
- The casters are larger in diameter as compared to other swivel casters, and therefore are more easily maneuverable.
- The casters are not only available in orange but also blue, red, and white color.
- The wheels offer a quiet rolling experience with a smooth flow.
- While these casters are perfect for hardwood flooring, despite the claim, they are not as good on carpeted flooring
You may also be interested in reading: best replacement casters for office chairs
#4 OPTTICO Office Chair Wheels
These non-scratching and carpet friendly casters are perfect for hardwood floors. They have a modern design and shape that will perfectly suit any chair and any interior. If you are tired of using plastic chair mats to support your chair’s wheels and need smooth casters to replace your old squeaky ones, then these casters are for you.
They are the ultimate office chair companions that are not only perfect for hardwood flooring but are good for laminate too. These caster wheels are made of soft Polyurethane rubber that helps to keep your floor protected from any damage or dent. They are even suitable for ceramic flooring.
These rollerblade design casters have double ball bearings that make no noise while moving. They provide a smooth experience that you will love. With an improved c-ring grip, these casters are compatible with a wide variety of office furniture, including Herman Miller, Hon, Knoll, DXracer, Humanscale, and Steelcase.
- Rollerblade style casters, leave no dents or scratches on hardwood floors
- Double ball bearing in the caster swivel gives a very smooth and noiseless motion to your office chair
- Improved C-ring grip helps these casters be compatible with almost every make and model of office chairs.
- Attractive black color caster polyurethane wheels with a modern and elegant design.
- The solid steel construction makes the wheel durable and strong.
- Including the stem and the diameter of the caster, they add a fair bit of height to the chair. Therefore it would be prudent to check your chair height at their lowest height adjustment before buying these casters.
#5 Finnhomy Office Chair Caster Wheels
These office chair 3-inch casters will never make dents and marks on your expensive hardwood flooring. If you are fed up using plastic casters that keep destroying your hardwood flooring, you must try these office chair casters.
These casters come with a lifetime guarantee of no scratches and marks on the floor. Made with soft clear polyurethane, the wheels work very smoothly on all kinds of floors including stone, vinyl, carpet, tiles, and perhaps the best on the hardwood.
There is no gliding sound due to precision ball bearing that makes the casters smooth and perfect for hardwood floors. With a weight capacity of 100 pounds per wheel , the set of 5 casters can bear a total of 500 pounds.
- The weight capacity of 500 pounds makes the caster useful for individuals who are plus-sized.
- The precision ball bearing of these casters makes them smooth and noiseless.
- The casters come with a lifetime guarantee against scratches and dents on your flooring.
- No tools are required for the installation of these casters.
- The size of the caster is universal and they can fit any make and model of chair.
- These casters come at a budget-friendly price.
- The wheels may lock up on carpet flooring.
You may also be interested in reading: Best Casters for Carpets
#6 Growsland Office Chair Wheel
This caster has a universal stem diameter that makes it fit for most chairs. Both upper and lower parts of the wheel have a bearing that makes it easy to rotate the wheel.
With solid steel construction, the wheels are strong enough to bear a weight of up to 650 pounds. For smoother motion, the wheels have dual precision ball bearings.
The soft Polyurethane tire makes gliding smooth and noiseless. Heavy-duty solid steel frame and strong plastic rim make the casters strong.
- The solid steel framework and strong plastic rim make the wheel durable.
- See-through soft polyurethane material makes the wheel safe for hardwood and other floorings like vinyl, short hair carpet, hardwood, wood, and tiles.
- The weight capacity of 650 lbs makes the wheel strong.
- Modern design makes it suit any chair of any size.
- Smooth and no-noise rolling due to 2 precision ball bearings and wheel shells.
- The three easy step installation process makes the caster preferable for office as well as home use.
- The casters are not good for carpeted flooring. They work perfectly fine on hardwood flooring however.
What should you look for before buying casters for the hardwood floor?
Before buying casters for office use, make sure that it it offers smooth movement with little to no sound. You should check what type of ball bearing is used in the casters, how long it is, and whether the casters roll smoothly on hardwood surfaces.
Easy to Install
Most caster wheels come with a simple stem insertion based installation mechanism these days. You should be able to remove your old casters and insert the new ones without the need for any tools, all within minutes.
Choose The Right Size Of Caster
Every flooring needs a different diameter of wheels so that it does not damage the flooring’s look and glides smoothly. If you have a hardwood flooring in the office or home, buy casters with a 2-inch diameter. Furthermore, if you have carpet flooring, then buy a 3-inch caster so that it moves smoothly.
Choose The Right Type Of Caster
If you have wooden flooring with light furniture all over, buy nylon casters for your office chairs. On the contrary, if you have hardwood flooring, polyurethane casters will prove to be the best. This kind of caster is made of soft material on the outer wheel and has a solid steel framework on the inside that provides much better protection to hardwood flooring.
Polyurethane casters do not give scratches, dents, or black marks on expensive hardwood floors. Many of them come in rollerblade design, which makes the caster even more smooth gliding and scratch-resistant
Frequently Asked Questions
Which is the best caster for hardwood flooring?
Polyurethane casters and neoprene rubber casters are considered the best for hardwood flooring. They are available in many designs, and both do not cause any dent or scratches on hardwood floors.
What is the appropriate diameter of the wheel that you must buy for hardwood floors?
A 2 or 3-inch diameter polyurethane caster wheel is considered suitable for hardwood and carpet floors. Keep in mind that the 2-inch wheels are only suitable for hard flooring.
Hardwood floors are high-maintenance and if you don’t want to spend a lot of money on getting chair mats to protect your floor, you should buy chair wheel casters that do not create scratches and dents in them. Typically, polyurethane or other soft materials are recommended for hardwood flooring.
In this article, we have selected the Best Casters For Hardwood Floor which are made with a polyurethane outer surface, strong stainless steel internal framework, precision ball bearings, high load-bearing capacity, and compatible with most office chairs.
In our opinion, the The Office Oasis Original... is the best choice among the various options that we have considered because not only are they heavy-duty, with soft polyurethane outer surface, they also have precision ball bearings and a 110% money-back guarantee from their manufacturer! Further, the reviews and ratings on Amazon speak for themselves.
If you are looking for a value-for-money option, you can also consider the Finnhomy Office Chair Caster 3''... , which offers good features at a very reasonable price point.